07 January 2020

Sigh and quiet sob, Christmas decor now down and put away for (God willing) Christmas 2020. 7th January is never my favourite day.

However...

I'm starting a new tradition this year and I think it might explain why I was more matter-of-fact and less blubby about de-decking the halls this morning.

2 February is the Feast of the Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple and the new tradition is leaving the Crèche on the electric fireplace mantel until the morning of 3 February to keep us mindful of the Nativity story a bit longer. In part I'm doing it for me, and in part for Paul who this past year has shown more interest in faith. Over the past year he has actually beaten me to tearing the previous day page off the 'page a day' Bible verse calendar on the fridge and has referred to the verse of the day several times as well. This past Christmas season he wanted to know more about the Nativity story so I thought making a new tradition (keeping the Crèche out until the Presentation) might be helpful to him.

I don't want to say 'I'm bringing him to Jesus' but I did hear him the other day saying to a friend his 'Wee Free' upbringing was too rigid and why he was turned off religious faith for so long. He went on to say he would like to start going to church this year - but made a point of saying he wanted to go to '...my wife's church', not the one he grew up in.

I'm taking up a new craft this year - Father Christmas brought me candle making supplies so I can make beeswax candles again. I'm thinking votive mostly but I would like to do at least a dozen hand-dipped tapers. I miss the zen of hand-dipping tapers. It's arduous, tedious (until not paying enough attention leads to injury), and completely satisfying.

2nd February is also 'Candlemas', the traditional day the household candles are blessed. Well, were, the tradition has pretty much died out since people rarely make their own candles a year ahead any longer. But I'm setting the date in my mind for the day I get back to candle-making. I have a few more supplies to gather to add to the basket where I'll be keeping everything (moulds, wicks, wick stabilisers, thermometer, fragrance, etc).

But even with the Crèche on the mantel, the house feels bare, colder and more dreary (doesn't help it's another 'dull' Scottish winter day with rain pelting down). 7th January is never my favourite day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Regretfully I've had to update my blog to comment moderation to prevent spamming. LOL, if only the fools knew my blog is seen by a very small and select group-it might help them understand the waste of time it is to spam my blog! Oh well, it's not as though spammers are very bright, after all.