POST BEGUN 1228HRS BST SUNDAY 23 AUG 2026
PAIN ADDLES YER BRAIN - RE-LEARNED THIS 0200HRS BST SUNDAY 9TH AUG 2026. OPIATE PAIN RELIEF CONTRIBUTES TO THE PAIN-ADDLED CONDITION. LEARNED 9TH-16TH AUG 2026 WHILST A HOSPITAL IN-PATIENT.
O.M.F.Gosh was I glad to get home 6pm Saturday afternoon 16th August! A week on and the opiates have finally cleared my system (WHEW!).
Long story short I took a very nasty fall in the bathroom, broke my left ankle in three places and 'mildly' sprained right wrist-to-elbow. I love my surgeon who decided NOT to operate owing to my age, heart issues, and his belief I would comply completely with his instructions.
Instead he doped me up (codeine) PLUS injected Lidocaine into my foot, ignored my screams, set the breaks and then put a plaster and fibreglass cast on. I have been faithful to instruction - keep elevated, NO WEIGHT BEARING, 15mg codeine every 4-6 hours and an injected blood thinner once a day while in hospital replacing the pain relief and thinner with 600mg aspirin every 4-6hrs once home.
Why? Because paracetamol turns me green by the second dose despite the NHS refusing to dispense aspirin to those of us who cannot tolerate acetaminophen/paracetamol - codeine in small doses 'only' makes me throw-up. sigh
The woman in the bed next to me kept trying to tell the staff she too cannot take paracetamol, they basically shoved it down her throat then had to deal with her subsequently enlarged liver. Nice, huh? (no, not nice)
I can only 'get out of bed' to use the bedside commode and once an hour to stand on my good leg for 1-3 minutes to hopefully prevent bedsores. For how long? EIGHT TO TEN BLOODY WEEKS (two down, there is that). The plan is for short ten step weight-bearing walks to begin in October. BTW, 'get out of bed' means scooching my body to the edge of the bed, planting my good foot on the floor whilst clinging to the bedside commode chair rails then rising and pivoting to lower myself onto said chair.
I use the same transfer to get onto the hospital transport wheel chair - yes, Fox's Mom is only permitted to travel under hospital transport care. my cup runneth over.
sigh
Paul is beginning to worry me as he is proving a better housewife than me:) OK, he still can't cook but he's got the dish and clothes washers sussed, he's a reheat whizz now on the microwave, and he vacuums more than I ever did. He graciously keeps the bedside commode clean. Twice a day he brings me a clean basin with clean tepid water for a 'freshen-up'. He's doing great:)
POSTED 1312HRS BST SUNDAY 23 AUGUST 2026 - FORGIVE ERRORS, BLAME LINGERING CODEINE
No comments:
Post a Comment
Regretfully I've had to update my blog to comment moderation to prevent spamming. LOL, if only the fools knew my blog is seen by a very small and select group-it might help them understand the waste of time it is to spam my blog! Oh well, it's not as though spammers are very bright, after all.