29 August 2023

 

 

Tuesday 29th August 2023 1018hrs BST

 

OK, I'm 67. All morning the Moody Blues song 'Never Thought I'd Live To Be 100' has been on continuous mental play - finally an earworm I can definitely appreciate (grimly). 

 

Paul brought me my favourite roses and birthday cake. My children emailed birthday wishes. My cup runneth over:)

 

Meanwhile...

 

The reconsideration project (aka decluttering) continues, almost finished but still some to go. It is working despite being one of the most simultaneous tedious-gut wrenching experiences ('But we might need that one day and the way prices are rising I don't want to have to pay eyewatering amounts to replace it!' and/or 'OMFGosh, AGAIN we have to spend the day sorting boxes, WHAT??!!'). We still need a slightly bigger house because getting to household and cleaning supplies is still going to be 'move ten things to get the one thing' owing to the bare bones storage space in this shoebox. sigh


And I would really like to know where the hell I'm going to hide the Christmas presents. Yes, I have Christmas shopping done (e-vouchers will be sent to the US loved ones at the start of Christmas week so that's done as well). 

 

The first of Paul's gifts arrived this morning (thank-you Mr Postie) and I need to work out where to hide it. I have a half-mind to dig out some of the Christmas fabric and make a big bag to hang off the mantel, I could put every gift in the bag and not have to worry. Hmmm. Gonna give that some serious thought today. Paul doesn't 'peek' so having the gifts tucked in a 'Santa Bag' from tomorrow doesn't pose a worry and would mean I wouldn't be finding things I'd meant for gifts in March. The thought is growing on me.

 

Speaking of autumn, it cometh, and honestly I can feel winter looming as well. The rowans are stripped of berries, the leaves are beginning to change colour and the swifts will be leaving soon for their African winter home. 

 

Autumn is my favourite time of year - I usually have the new diaries and calendars bought by mid-September but this year (for 2024) I already have got those tucked up. Christmas gifts are bought, winter clothing and bedding either washed or in the process of being washed (my workhorse clothes washer working overtime to get it all done). All that is left is planning and stocking in 'festive foods'. This year I'm either buying a 'crown' (turkey breast roast in the USA) or simply chicken filets (boneless chicken breasts in the USA) that I'll roast and serve with traditional 'trimmings'. Thanks to the lovely worktop oven I have been working on perfecting my sugar cookies and Yule Log skills - one worry off, yippee!

 

I love everything about autumn, always have. The changing leaves, the crisper air, the cooking and baking, the lovely anticipation of winter - will it snow long enough and deep enough to build snowmen that last weeks, what colour Christmas lights will I use to decorate the front garden, which illuminated ornament should I use in the front window, should I use the full-on 4ft Christmas tree or go with the 2.5ft mantel tree...


67, wow. Never thought about being a 60something, actually. I'm fine with it, it definitely beats the alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Regretfully I've had to update my blog to comment moderation to prevent spamming. LOL, if only the fools knew my blog is seen by a very small and select group-it might help them understand the waste of time it is to spam my blog! Oh well, it's not as though spammers are very bright, after all.